Medical (and SSW) Guidance for School Re-opening: A June 18th Webinar of National Experts
Editor’s Note: I’m excited to share this webinar recording and summary from the 6/18 panel I was on with national experts in school nursing, pediatrics, and educational leadership. I learned a lot and it was great to bring a SSW perspective to the table as well.
From the summary: On June 18, 2020 the RestartED Team hosted their third in a series of Virtual “Town Hall’ discussions with educators and professionals devoted to rethinking, reimagining and restarting our schools in a post- pandemic society. Panelists explored best practices for mitigating health risks as state departments of education and school districts across the country work to safely reopen schools. The national panel of experts in the field of nursing, health, and education included:
- Michael S. Kelly of Loyola University Chicago, Professor and Director of the School Mental Health Advanced Practice Certificate; and
- Lisa Kern, Pasco County Schools, Florida, School Health Supervisor; and
Jay Majka, Superintendent Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School District, New Jersey; and
- Mary Beth Miotto, Worcester, Massachusetts, Associate Medical Director of Pediatric Population Health; and
- Liz Pray, Moses Lake School District, Washington State, President Elect for the School Nurse Organization of Washington.
- Greg Tufaro, USA TODAY network journalist, opened the night with a thoughtful introduction of the issue for discussion and then moderated the hour long conversation.
Here’s the webinar video, followed by a 4-page summary of the key domains we covered:
- Managing shifting local, state and national guidance
- Providing scaffolded supports that balance health and emotional needs
- Supporting and expanding the role of school based health care professionals
More information from RestartED:
- Blog & resources: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1njZPll6R5In6asOfwcMdxVv6jAT9FCpg/view?usp=drivesdk…
- Medical Guidance for School Reopening: Video: https://youtu.be/4ycrUdoJNNE
- Join us this Thursday @ 8pm for part 2. https://wfscorp.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_aWe8EXYKQN2cb8UcBpQK6g…
- Please retweet using: #RestartED